The highly flexible, high-performance Juniper Networks® QFX5100 line of Ethernet
switches provides the foundation for today’s and tomorrow’s dynamic data center. As a
critical enabler for IT transformation, the data center network supports cloud and software-
defined networking (SDN) adoption, as well as rapid deployment and delivery of
applications. Mission-critical applications, network virtualization, and integrated or scale-out
storage are driving the need for more adaptable networks. With its diverse set of
deployment options, including fabric, Layer 3, and spine and leaf, the QFX5100 is the
universal building block for data center switching architectures, enabling users to easily
adapt as requirements change over time.
The QFX5100 line includes 10GbE (fiber and copper) and 40GbE fixed-configuration
options with rich Layer 2, Layer 3, and MPLS features. The QFX5100 runs the same
reliable, high-performance Juniper Networks Junos® operating system that is used by
Juniper Networks EX Series Ethernet Switches, Juniper Networks routers, and Juniper
Networks SRX Series Services Gateways, ensuring a consistent implementation and
operation of control plane features across the entire Juniper infrastructure.
Featuring a built-in Insight Technology capability, the QFX5100 provides valuable
performance and troubleshooting data via microburst monitoring and hotspot statistics.
The QFX5100 can also be used in Juniper’s Virtual Chassis switching architecture.
Architecture and Key Components
The QFX5100 includes the following capabilities. Please refer to the Specifications section
for features that are currently shipping vs. those that will be available in a future software
• High-density configurations—72 ports of 10GbE in a 1 U platform; 96 ports of 10GbE
in a 2 U platform; and 32 ports of 40GbE in a 1 U platform
• Up to 2.56 Tbps Layer 2 and Layer 3 performance and as low as 550 ns latency1
• 1.5 GHz dual-core Intel CPU with 8 GB memory and 32 GB SSD storage
• High availability with the industry’s only Topology-Independent In-Service Software
• Rich automation capabilities with support for Python, Chef, Puppet, and zero-touch
• Designed-in Insight Technology software capability for microburst monitoring and
reporting, as well as hotspot statistics and visibility
• Plug-and-play deployable architectures such as Virtual Chassis and Layer 3 fabrics
with simplified management and operation
• Support for virtualization protocols such as Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN), Open
vSwitch Database (OVSDB) protocol, and integration with VMware NSX SDN